Thursday, October 7, 2010

Scripted curriculum and 5 lesson planning goals

I think you could still implement the lesson planning strategies into the classroom even if you have a scripted curriculum. I feel like that is what my CT and I are doing anyways. At my school they have the Everyday math curriculum, which is very scripted. I think this program does a good job anyways of putting the goals at the beginning of the chapter and they are clear so you can see what pre-assessments you need to do, and what the main goal out of all the lessons is going to be. The next component you would have to tweak would be anticipating confusion. This would take more effort from the teacher to sit down read ahead and look at the concepts that are coming up. From there generate a list of potential problems and come up with additional activities to solve those misconceptions. This can be helpful because "you are more likely to make sure that students think carefully about these ideas and procedures during this time," (174). This would also apply to the asking questions component. While I think the Everyday math book does a good job of pointing out little things to ask the students I don't think it goes very in depth and sometimes seems disorganized. This again would take effort from the teacher to sit down and pre-read the chapter to find more engaging questions to ask the students. The implementation is suggested in the book and I do like how it gives you multiple ways to give it.

The hardest part of incorporating this would be the generating questions. Like the books says, "The most challenging questions ask students to explain a complex situation, evaulate the usefulness of a method, or synthesize a set of findings," (180). I think this can easily be done in a scripted classroom but would take effort from the teacher. This is something that I think would be important, to make sure the students get the most from the lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you saying, "Yes I think this could work in my classroom if I had more time." Sad but true. We have the everyday math curriculum at my school to and we spend an hour every day trying to get through everything we are asked to teach so to through in time for a discussion seems tough, but for the students' sake perhaps nessicary.

    ReplyDelete