I anticipate that the most challenging of the 5 components of lesson planning will be managing the classroom talk. For one, talk moves are still a relatively new concept for me. Obviously teachers have always been using certain talk moves and I unknowingly had as well, but I had never really paid much attention to which ones or which were most productive in a given discussion until recently. Besides that, I have always liked to be a listener during conversations and discussions in my placements because I find what students have to say so interesting. I'd much rather listen to them talk than think about how specifically I am going to ask them a question to get them to talk. I realize how important it is for the teacher to guide discussions at times so that all students have the opportunity to hear, say, and learn concepts from different perspectives, but it is admittedly taking a lot of practice to remember to think so specifically about what type of talk I am going to use and not just let the students conversations flow.
I worry that I might get stuck in a rut and inadvertedly keep using the same talk move or forget ones that would be perfect for a certain situation.
The book mentions that the "managing classroom talk component would be the time during which you would make notes to yourself about talk such as vocabulary definitions and other related info the students might ask. It is sometimes difficult to anticipate what directs the discussions during a lesson may take and that too makes being completely prepared with all of the information you might need difficult.
No comments:
Post a Comment