The talk move that stood out the most to me was revoicing. I like this idea because especially being with first graders it can be difficult to understand the message they are trying to get across to the rest of the class and in order to have a good clear class discussion I think revoicing will be a necessary practice. Since the teacher does not know what the student is thinking it may be a challenge to correctly revoice what the student was actually thinking. If a teacher revoices using a question the student may say “no that is not what I was talking about” or the student may just say “yes that is what I meant” although it really not be what they were thinking but they do not want to correct a teacher. Also as a teacher during these discussions it would be important to let the students finish their complete thoughts because it may take them time t think of the right words and I think it is important as a teacher to not cut them off and just interject our assumptions on what they were going to say without letting them finish.
My case study was the first grade case study with the teacher Mrs. Sigler. I noticed a lot throughout her case study that she asked the other students to repeat what other students were saying. The whole group discussion led to new ideas of triangles as a class. It seemed as if the questions kept building off of each other and helped all the kids expand what they believe a triangle to be. I can see myself using reasoning a lot in the classroom in discussions. There are many ways it can be used you ask the class to just give a thumbs up if they agree with whatever concept we are talking about it helps to give a quick check for understanding. Then it can go in depth and can give kids an opportunity to interpret what another student is saying and different students have different points of views and may interpret ideas differently and by asking them to apply or use someone else reasoning is a good way for them to share.
carolyn
I agree with you. I think using something like thumbs up is a good way to check in with kids, but it is important to remember to go more in depth. I thought it was so interesting how the students had picked up on the triangles on the poster and that in their mind, that was the only way a triangle could look. I think the teacher did a great job of creating class discussion and getting the students to think more in depth about the definition of a triangle.
ReplyDeleteI think that revoicing is such an important skill for students to see in action not only from teachers but also practice themselves. It is honestly such an important communication skill in life. How many times have we as adults been trying to explain something and have to re-explain it multiple times slightly different for people to understand? Also its important to remember that there are many different types of learners and for some students, just because they can come up with an answer out loud, they might not really understand or have that information stored in their brain. A teacher revoicing what they said might just be what they need to actually store and remember the information.
ReplyDelete