Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Do you agree or disagree and why?" 9-16-10

The talk move that stood out most to me is the idea of asking students to apply their own reasoning to some else’s reasoning. I think this is a very important tool in the classroom because it encourages the students to build on another student’s response. It gives the students another perspective to the learning and they can hear how other students got their answer. It gives them the opportunity to compare their reasoning to one another’s.

I think the most important part of this is to ask a student if they agree or disagree and why. Whether the student is correct or not, it gives them the opportunity to explain their answer. Asking a student why they agree or disagree gives them the chance to talk about their opinion out loud and to explain how they got to their answer. I think this is a very effective method because you are not concerned with the answer you are concerned with the process of thinking. This is also good for the rest of the class because they can compare their thinking to the thinking of their peers. They can hear how another student thought about the problem. This gives the students that may not have been able to think in the same way the opportunity to hear ways that they can come to an answer. I think it is important also because it is a way of making sure students are listening to one another. By asking them to build on to another students answer will show you that they are thinking critically about what was said and that they were paying attention.

I have been able to see this in my classroom in a small group setting. We asked the students to identify shapes based on their characteristics. Asking students to build on another’s response did not work very well because the students were not listening to each other’s ideas. In order to have a healthy discussion it is important that the students can hear each other and that they are attentive. I hope that eventually this talk move will become much stronger and more useful in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that asking students to explain their reasoning is very important. Whether the student is right or wrong it is important to see how they are coming up with their answer. Either a student can have the right answer and not have the right way to figure it out or if they have the wrong answer it would be important to figure out how they are coming up with the answer.

    ReplyDelete